Thursday, August 14, 2008

Grandma's tired... and still bewildered

Okay, Kids and any other interested readers, here goes my first attempt at blogging (a new verb since I taught English!)

I trained at Starbucks for just over 2 weeks, and this has been my first week to work sort-of on my own... I still need lots of support. My first shift was yesterday from 5:00 AM til 11:30 AM. Although only 6 hours, it felt like 12! It's been awhile since I got up at 3:30 to go to work, and I didn't sleep very well, constantly trying to remember how many pumps and shots and scoops went into 20 million different drinks. Fortunately, they were wise enough not to put me on the espresso bar making drinks! I helped grind coffee, make coffee, put out pastries, and then stood at the cash register for about 5 hours. I had no idea how many people came into Starbucks to get caffeine before daylight! Somehow I survived, the customers eventually got served, and I dragged myself home for a good nap. I felt like I'd been run over by a train... actually, it felt a bit like jet-lag -- that exhausted, headachey, weird feeling. But I slept like a log last night and today am back to normal (a day off.)

Tomorrow I go in again at 5:00 AM, and the next day at 6:45 AM. Should I have ever mentioned that I'm a "morning person"?!? When will I ever learn not to talk so much?!

But, I'm planning on actually knowing what I'm doing someday! My good friend Adam, a 4-year-plus veteran barista in Boston, tells me that I will be confused for about 2 to 3 months. Let's see... about Thanksgiving I should be feeling comfortable at this. I think I can last that long... with some encouragement from my friends!

Oh, by the way, the Asst. Manager who trained me is a "boy" I taught in Middle School... and, I've known his mom since before he was born! He's a GREAT manager, trainer, and barista! He can do about 6 things at once, be friendly at the same time, and get it all right! I don't ever aspire to be as good at barista-ing as he is; I can't move that fast. But, it's great to have an "old" friend there to help me learn! Thanks, Derrell!! And, all the people I work with are great -- very patient with this Grandma and very helpful! That makes me look forward to more days at Starbucks!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Good old Derrell Wayne.... maybe if he talks to you in the birdy voice you'll remember things quicker. You're doing great, Mom! Thanks for keeping all of us entertained! :)

Brian and Julie Woolery said...

Yay, Mom! You have entered the world of blogging! We'll be praying for you and can't wait to see pictures! Justin loves and misses you. :)

Anonymous said...

So, now you know what it feels like to be wanted for your coffee presents.

Yeah, the confusion will go away and wrote memorization will take over soon. But there will still be people who want 2/3 decaf iced coffee or a no-water-iced-chai. The first one will make you wonder why people are so picky and the second one will show you that customer's don't always know what they are getting (for the non-Sbux-partner readers: iced chai doesn't ever have water).

But congrats. Also, our stock is low, but going up so you can make "extra" money on the side as well. :)

Keep us updated!